The plumbing system in your home should undergo routine checks and maintenance. Whether you are a home owner or live in an apartment, plumbing repairs are a regular part of your home life. There are several ways to prevent plumbing repair problems by taking care of your plumbing and inspecting it to prevent further damage before you call a plumbing specialist.
- Take a look around the base of the toilet for any signs of leaks. This involves stains or water damage.
- To see if you have a “soft floor”, stand and straddle over the toilet while rocking back and forth on each foot to check for any spongy feeling in the floor. If so, it is probably rotting or is weakened.
- To check for leaky or loose tiles, press on the walls where they come in contact with the bathtub. If the walls are soft, there may be water damage below your tiles.
- Turn on the water in the bathtub and the kitchen sink. If there is a significant reduction in water volume, this may mean that the piping in the house may need to be replaced due to calcium and mineral deposits.
- If the home has a basement, check exposed piping for signs of leaking.
- Check the date of your water heater to see if it needs to be replaced. The first four numbers of the serial number on the water heater are the month and year. Any heater over 15 years old may need to be replaced.
- A rusty water tank is a sign of pending problems.
- Check the inside of the cabinets for water damage, preferable with a flashlight.
- Check your garbage disposer and dishwasher and make sure that the connections are tight and leak free.
- Check your washing machine hoses for rupture. Turn the valves on and off to test for leaks.
- Check the manufacturer’s site for further information and tips on the appliance in your home.
- Inspect the yard for areas that are too wet with unusual plant or grass growth to check for standing water. Excess water in a yard may be coming from a damaged sewer line and contain waste from the home.
Keep these plumbing repair tips in mind as taking preemptive action against plumbing repair problems will save you money in the long run. Even if you don’t know much about plumbing repair, you can prevent further damage before you call a plumber and maintain the plumbing of your home. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, you can get in touch with a plumbing specialist who can assist you with your further plumbing problems.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/6342294